[wpkg-users] First line of wpkg.xml

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Mon Jul 2 13:47:46 CEST 2012

Hi Cedric,

On 02.07.2012 13:34, Cedric Frayssinet wrote:
> With wpkg.js 1.3, the first line of wpkg.xml is like :
>
> <wpkg:wpkg xmlns:wpkg="http://www.wpkg.org/settings" hostname="info103-069677"
> ....  ipadresses="172.16.129.154".
>
> But, when this computer is used as master in order to clone a lot of computers,
> don't you think we will have some troubles with this line ?

These attributes are inserted by WPKG to store information about the machine
WPKG was run on. It's mainly used for reporting and ignored by WPGK itself. So
no issue if you clone this information to another machine with different
hostname, IP etc. WPKG will just re-write wpkg.xml on next modification and then
fill it with attributes matching the cloned machine.

Actually I recommend creating the clone image before even running WPKG for the
first time. Including software in a clone image is bad from my point of view
because the software will likely need update anyway when the clone image is
used. So your image will include a bunch of already outdated software which will
be replaced by WPKG on first run.

So I would prefer to set up WPKG but not run it (no wpkg.xml in clone master
image) and then have WPKG run on cloned machines only so WPKG will just install
all the software (in latest available version) to the clones.