[wpkg-users] Negative Dependency

Carlos R. Pasqualini pasqualinic at fcal.uner.edu.ar
Fri Oct 26 22:07:01 CEST 2012

El vie, 26-10-2012 a las 21:37 +0200, Stefan Pendl escribió:
> Am 26.10.2012 21:26, schrieb Carlos R. Pasqualini:
> >
> > Thank you guys but it's not exactly what i mean...
> >
> > As i can see you are saying:
> >
> > 'this package depends on libreoffice unless msoffice is installed'
> >

> If MS Office is removed, then Libre Office is installed, that was what
> you asked.

yes, but you put it on another package's dependencies...
i want a way to say 'libreoffice conflicts with msoffice' in the
libreoffice package definition, and 'msoffice conflicts with
libreoffice' on the msoffice definition.

> I don't think we need to make things more complicated, I have always
> succeeded using the current available dependencies.

I agree with you on simple and clean dependencies schema, but at least
to me, not every time i can express the dependencies as i think them.

> Remove the package from the profile of the host and it gets removed, any
> other package being blocked by that package will be installed afterwards.

> I don't think one should create complex dependency constructs for
> software deployment.

what if i make a mistake when i'm selecting packages in the profile and
selecting two conflicting packages? (very possible when we have profiles
dependencies specified on different files).
Having a conflict statement on the package definition level will reduce
having troubles on user's machines.

> Assign what is needed to the host and allow installation of additional
> required software through dependencies, that is simple and supported.

I think i'll need re-think all this issue again... may be it's just a
debianism in my head limiting my think capacity

Best Regards