[wpkg-users] Logical check returns null

Jason Taylor jtaylor at morrislaing.com
Wed Apr 3 18:28:32 CEST 2013

Greetings,

I'm getting the error message "Error evaluating check: condition is null for a logical check" for one of my packages. What I believe are the relevant checks are as follows:
		<!-- During "install" check if reader of any version is installed. If so, remove it and install/patch XI. -->
		<check type="logical" value="or">
			<!-- Consider this package installed if reader either doesn't exist, or is the current version -->
			<!-- Return true if Reader is the current version and installed -->
			<check type="uninstall" condition="exists" path="Adobe Reader XI (%READERVERSION%)" />
			<!-- Return true if no version of Reader is installed. -->
			<check type="logical" condition="and">
				<check type="logical" value="not">
					<check type="file" condition="exists" path="%PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" />
				</check>
				<check type="logical" value="not">
					<check type="file" condition="exists" path="%PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" />
				</check>
				<check type="logical" value="not">
					<check type="file" condition="exists" path="%PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" />
				</check>
			</check>
		</check>

Now, some background in case you're wondering what in the world I'm doing. We're just getting ready to start using WPKG, as such we have a ton of random versions of Reader all over the place.  In addition, some users have Acrobat, and they should not have Reader installed.

My goal with the above is to consider Reader installed if it either doesn't exist (no executable from any version) or is patched to the current version. If Reader is installed but isn't the current version it will run the <install> with a transform that uninstalls all previous versions.

At first I thought maybe the logical and doesn't like 3 checks, but commenting one out didn't change the error message. Any ideas on what's going on here would be greatly appreciated!

Jason Taylor
Morris, Laing, Evans, Brock & Kennedy
300 N Mead Ste 200
Wichita, KS 67202