[wpkg-users] Global max execution time hardcoded?

Nicolas BRICHE nbriche at ch-peronne.fr
Wed Apr 3 09:18:46 CEST 2013

Hello,

Stefan Pendl a écrit , Le 02/04/2013 18:34:

>> You have instructed your users not to shutdown their box, but instead
>> to logoff?
>
> Yes, users are instructed to just log off to allow computer maintenance
> to run smoothly.

We're in the middle of an internal review of our deployment practices, and we're
considering going that way - asking our users to just log off.

Since we're far from confident that they'll actually follow those instructions,
we're also looking into a Wake-on-LAN fallback mechanism to access boxes that
were shutdown either despite instructions, by power failure, put into automatic
sleep, or otherwise (soooo many ways to put down a box...).

When planning your instructions to your users, did you consider WOL?  Did you
find any major drawbacks?  I wouldn't want to visit 200 BIOSes to enable WOL,
only to find out there's a show-stopper somewhere down the line...

Nicolas