[wpkg-users] WPKG and WOL (WAS: Re: Global max execution time hardcoded?)

Stefan Pendl stefan.pendl.71 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 20:33:57 CEST 2013

Am 03.04.2013 17:18, schrieb Carlos R. Pasqualini:

> i think it would be good for ours, the sysadmins using wpkg, to share
> thoughts on other ways of executing cscript and keeping users happy.

An agent would be the best way, so the agent would notify the user of
the maintenance and the user could delay it for some time.

If the delay is over and the system isn't idle, the user will be logged
off, since he already had enough time to prepare for the maintenance.

Users are "stupid", they don't log off over weekends or holidays, so you
need to force them to do the right thing.

I have configured my systems to WOL on Saturday morning, so I could
apply changes at least once a week, but some are always logged in.

If you tell them they don't leave the light on at the toilet at home,
they just laugh at you.

--
Stefan P.

Top-posting: