[wpkg-users] Deploying Google Chrome - personal install not enterprise install?

Pete Boyd petes-lists at thegoldenear.org
Tue Nov 19 13:10:06 CET 2013

Hi. I'm investigating deploying Google Chrome in addition to Firefox which
is already the defaul browser and would remain so. This is on Windows XP
(next year being on Windows 7) with a Samba domain controller, roaming
profiles, where users have a Limited user account rather than being a
Power User or Administrator.

How do you people deploy it? Does it work OK in this kind of environment
if you allow users to install it themselves into their Windows profile and
then it update itself? Obviously the sane way to do this is an enterprise
deployment, installing into %PROGRAMFILES% and managing updates myself.
But, being as only a few users need it, I'm wondering if I can save the
organisation the expense of me managing the updates, by having per-person
installs of just this one app.

I've done some research and can see how to do an enterprise deployment of
Chrome. If I installed it this way I'd configure each user's cache
location to a place outside of their Windows roaming profile (so it
doesn't take up excessive space in the profile), and disable auto updates.
If this was going to work when installed by each user then I could
manually change their cache location.

Thanks

--
Pete Boyd