[wpkg-users] Deploying Google Chrome - personal install not enterprise install?

Pete Boyd petes-lists at thegoldenear.org
Thu Nov 21 11:18:38 CET 2013

Hi Paul, thanks for your response (and yours too Dafydd Jones). I'm
doing good, though having to work hard at adjusting to the autumn /
winter season. I hope you're well.

I've given Chrome a try with users installing it themselves and don't
think that's going to work so will continue looking at the usual kind of
centralised installation unless anyone has any bright ideas. Here's why
it's failing for me:

- It installs into a user's Local Settings and so is tied to a
particular workstation. The app is about 300 MB and the user profile
starts off at about 80 MB. If people roam, they might install it onto
each workstation they use, and with multiple people doing this the
amount of disk space used grows worryingly significantly. You can
specify that the Chrome user profile lives elsewhere but the app is
still 300 MB.

- I have Windows configured to delete Windows profiles when people
logout, so that roaming profiles don't mount up on workstations and use
up too much disk space. Thus the Chrome installation is lost on each logout.

I'll add this info into the WPKG wiki at some point.