[wpkg-users] Settings screen resolution

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Mon Jan 27 18:21:21 CET 2014

Hi Paul,

On 27.01.2014 09:10, Paul McGrath wrote:
>    Some older software 'prefers' to run in 4:3 to display images better and it may be easier to get 500 people to change their resolution manually but even over paid educated people struggle to read instructions (with pictures!) and doing it for them is often easier, simpler, quicker and less hassle.  I am researching the concept so may not necessarily do it.

Wouldn't it be better in such case to run only this specific application with a
specific resolution rather than forcing the user to deal with non-native
resolution all day?

To achieve this I have simply used cmd scripts in the past (long time ago) in
the format:

@echo off
quickres.exe ...
start /wait "Application" "path\to\app.exe"
quickres.exe ...

This way the script waits for the application to exit and then resets resolution
to whatever you like - perhaps the tool also offers to switch back to screen
native resolution.

In general screen resolution changes are user choice, not system choice.
Therefore you have to execute the script in userspace. How to execute scripts at
user-level or modify user registy was subject of a recent thread here on the list:

<http://lists.wpkg.org/pipermail/wpkg-users/2014-January/009709.html>

In your case you might use a logon script or ActiveSetup method to force users
executing the required commands. However I would expect it to be bad idea to
force the resolution change any time as some users might like to go for another
resolution. As said "resolution choice is user choice". So I would accept it if
the administrator sets the resolution once but if I decide to go for another
resolution it should not be overwritten/reset on every system reboot.