[wpkg-users] WPKG vs OCS

Jon Goldberg jon at palantetech.coop
Mon Mar 9 22:18:55 CET 2015

Agreed.  I use OCS for inventory management, but use WPKG for package
management.  The packaging process seemed needlessly complex with OCS.

That said, we're currently exploring Puppet as a replacement for WPKG,
with PuppetDB taking the place of OCS.  This is largely to have better
support for clients who aren't connected to a central server (e.g.
remote laptop users), to have built-in support for certificate-based
authentication, and to link with our wider Puppet-based architecture for
servers.

We have the basic functionality in place, with a couple of packages
installing via Puppet.  Hopefully in a few weeks we can share some
initial impressions.

Jon

Jon Goldberg, Palante Technology Cooperative
jon at palantetech.coop
Cell (preferred): 347-829-4566
Phone: 888-481-3655 x101
http://www.palantetech.coop