[wpkg-users] WPKG Client

Dave Evans dave.evans at goodness.co.uk
Fri Mar 27 15:53:32 CET 2015

On 26/03/2015 22:57, Peter Gough wrote:

> On 27 March 2015 at 08:10, Stefan Pendl <stefan.pendl.71 at gmail.com
> <mailto:stefan.pendl.71 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Am 26.03.2015 um 08:37 schrieb Koch, Stefan:
>>
>>     Hello all,
>>
>>     so i have no Stylesheet problems with any .xml file.
>>
>>     All Packages till now can be installed on a client, but only with
>>     a .bat File manual
>>
>>     With the Code : cscript \\yourserver\wpkg.js /synchronize
>>
>>     My next problem is the WPKG Client (Windows 7 Prof.)
>>
>>     I have read that the WPKG Client don´t run on Windows 7 only with
>>     the *WPKG-GP Tool*? Is that right?
>>
>>     http://wpkg.org/Screenshots#GUI_.2F_graphical_client_installation_mode
>>
>>     So I use WPKG Client 1.3.14-x64.msi
>>
>>     This Version looks a little bit different like on the example.
>>
>>     This Client has an own selftest (when it run they say all its ok)
>>
>>     But when I start a Host-Client (Windows logon screen)nothing happen
>>
>>     Have someone any idea or it doesn´t run on Windows 7?
>>

>     The WPKG client is not usable on Windows Vista and above, since it
>     will be terminated before it ends its tasks.
>
>     WPKG-GP is one way to solve this, another is to use a scheduled
>     task that updates the system at night and shuts it down after WPKG
>     has finished.
>
>     --
>     Stefan P.
>
>     Top-posting:
>     A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
>     Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
>     A: Top-posting.
>     Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?

> On my Windows 7 clients I used to run a startup/shutdown script with
> 'cscript \\server\wpkg.js /synchronize /quiet /nonotify'. This works
> well but it doesn't give the users any notification on what's
> happening. With small updates/installs this is fine but I'd find
> they'd force shutdown for large installs because they thought the
> machine was hanging.
>
> I setup WPKG-GP on these clients which works really well. It gives end
> users a visual indication on what's happening and it was really easy
> to setup in a working existing WPKG environment.
>
> You probably don't want to use WPKG-GP and WPKG Client on the same
> machine.

we're running WPKG Client 1.3.14-x64.msi across 200+ Windows 7 x64
clients perfectly well, so it does run.
I've experimented with WPKG-GP but WPKG seems to be working for us at
present
we have:
     <param name='log_file_path' value='%SystemDrive%' />
so the logfile gets created at the root of C:\
and then we have something in the login script that copies that file to
a shared folder on the server so we can run some checks across it.
sometimes the file is copied up before WPKG has finished working, but
most times it's working OK.

Stefan Koch - you will not see anything happening, that is by design.
by default & by design the client runs as a service under the SYSTEM
account, checks in with the file structure on your server where all the
scripts and packages are, and does all it's work, then goes to sleep.
it starts every time the system boots (you will see the service is set
to Automatic Start)
if you're not sure it's working then have a look in the event log and or
whatever you've set the log file to.

If you want to test it without rebooting, then stop/start the service &
inspect the log file each time.
Note that after the service starts, it seems to wait a while (up to a
minute?) before it does anything, so keep an eye on the log file / event log

Dave