[wpkg-users] Fwd: Invalid XML path specified: hosts+profiles+packages (not found).

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Mon Nov 30 15:53:28 CET 2015

Hi Yanni,

> My *packages* file:
>
> I copied and pasted the thunderbird package from here (http://wpkg.org/Thunderbird)
> but I replaced
> <install cmd='"%SOFTWARE%\thunderbird\Thunderbird Setup %version%.exe" -ms' />
> with
> <install cmd='"\\testserver1\wpkg\email\Thunderbird Setup %version%.exe" -ms' />
>
> in order to tell wpkg where the executable is.

> Invalid XML structure found. Root element 'package' does not match expected

I guess here is your problem. I am quite sure your packages file is structured
invalid. The structure is as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<packages>
   <package>
   </package>
</packages>

I guess you have omitted the outer "<packages>" element and therefore WPKG
misses the root element. Please note that the <packages> element ist also
required even if you have only one single package in your packages.xml or if you
put thunderbird.xml into packages/ sub-directory.

I admit that the Thunderbird documentation on the web page does not include the
outer element either. I think this is because some people will just insert the
<package>...</package> into an existing package database.

So just add the surrounding <packages> element and you should be good to go.