[wpkg-users] Makemsi broken in Wpkg-GP-0.17.16_x64.exe ?

Nils Thiele it.service.kultur at uni-hamburg.de
Fri Nov 25 13:36:39 CET 2016

Hey,

I finally had a bit of time to check this out:

Test 1 on My development system (Win8.1 x64, up to date):

With 0.17.16 installed i ran:

makemsi.exe x64 %path_to_installer% %path_to_ini% %path_for_msi%

Without any errors.

Test2 on another system without the python environment (Win7, x64):

With 0.17.16 installed i ran:

makemsi.exe x64 %path_to_installer% %path_to_ini% %path_for_msi%

And error:

"C:\Program Files\Wpkg-GP\MakeMSI.exe"
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "MakeMSI.py", line 2, in <module>
   File "msilib\__init__.pyc", line 4, in <module>
   File "_msi.pyc", line 12, in <module>
   File "_msi.pyc", line 10, in __load
ImportError: DLL load failed: Die angegebene Prozedur wurde nicht gefunden.

Ok it seems that in my packaged installer there is a python
part/module/dll missing that is necessary for the makemsi tool and
because my dev system has all of these installed anyway it works anyway.

Sadly i have no idea how to fix this easily, i haven't touched the build
routine of wpkg-gp and the method for building the exe (py2exe) is not
the same i use for my client software (pyinstaller) which with which im
way more experienced.

But i may still have any easy solution:

I tried installing the latest official wpkg-gp build (0.18b1) and then
used its makemsi tool to create a msi package of the 0.17.16 installer
which worked fine, but i have not tested the created msi.

Maybe this is a workaround until im able to fix the problem in my version.

Best Regards,
Nils