[wpkg-users] /forceinstall option does not seem to work

Bernhard Mayr bmmayr at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 07:14:18 CEST 2020

> Are you certain that /forceinstall is working as designed?

I'm absolutely NOT certain that /forceinstall is working as you assumed
from the documentation. I just wanted to say that I would have assumed what
you assumed, had I tried to do what you are trying to do.

> I'm resistant to making another revision to force an upgrade, as often
the changes are quite small and frequent

Everyone should do what works for them, but frequent small changes are
exactly what makes it cumbersome to keep track of, and that's where for me
versions come in handy. I frequently define a version number as a variable
in packages and use them in the package revision and install string.

<package id="FFox_x86ESR" revision="%version%.%pkg-revision%" name="Mozilla
Firefox ESR x86" reboot="false" priority="10">
    <variable name="version" value="68.11.0" />
    <variable name="pkg-revision" value="1" />
    <install cmd='"%SOFTWARE%\FFox\Firefox Setup %version%esr.exe" -ms' />
'''
</package>

This way I can prepare the updated version as an installer file or
directory with a new version number and once I'm ready to deploy I just
update the version number in the package. For quick and dirty hacks like
little scripts I just use the version scheme YYMMDD e.e. 200803 for today's
date. I think this is how wpkg is meant to work and in this case I'm
certain that it works as expected.

good luck

Bernhard