[sheepdog-users] node recovery after reboot, virtual machines slow to boot

Andrew J. Hobbs ajhobbs at desu.edu
Fri Oct 3 17:47:27 CEST 2014

An example from one of our running images:
    <disk type='network' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>
      <source protocol='sheepdog' name='XXXX'/>
      <target dev='vda' bus='virtio'/>
    </disk>

One thing that's going to hurt is using ide for bus type.  Virtio is much more efficient for transfer rates.  Even if you're running Windows servers in VMs, there is a RedHat signed driver for Virtio.  I wonder if perhaps that's where your delayed start is coming from?

Here is an example libvirt device for a sheepdog disk:
   <disk type='network' device='disk'>
       <driver name='qemu'/>
       <source protocol='sheepdog' name='xxxxxx'/>
       <target dev='hda' bus='ide'/>
     </disk>

I do not have <host> elements, would explicitly adding multiple hosts help?

Thanks,
Philip