[Sheepdog] Openstack: is sheepdog support limited to volumes?

MORITA Kazutaka morita.kazutaka at lab.ntt.co.jp
Mon Jul 11 15:38:23 CEST 2011

At Sat, 9 Jul 2011 00:44:29 +0200,
Giuseppe Civitella wrote:

> Once I've read Morita Kazutaka's answer to my mail I've found the same
> blueprint.
> I realized that when Diablo will be released something very interesting will
> happen in terms of distributed storage support.
>
> May I ask for a comparison between Sheepdog, Ceph and Glusterfs ?

Ceph and GlusterFS are file systems, but Sheepdog provides only block
devices to virtual machines.  RBD, which is a part of Ceph, provides
block devices like Sheepdog, but there are some differences between two:
 - RBD can be accessed as a Linux block device
 - RBD seems to scale more than Sheepdog
 - Sheepdog has a fully symmetric architecture
 - Sheepdog supports dynamic membership management (zero configuration
   about the node membership)

You can use Sheepdog and RBD from OpenStack, but GlusterFS is not
supported yet.