[Sheepdog] Sheepdog initial performance

Benjamin Cleyet-Marrel benjamin.cleyet-marrel at openwide.fr
Tue Jul 19 11:30:57 CEST 2011

Hi,

We are currently in the process of evaluating sheepdog to use as a
backend storage for our virtual environement.
But right now I am facing really  poor performances on unallocated bloc.
It litterraly takes hours to  convert a 5G file.

So I am mounting the partition with different option without any luck
/dev/sdd1 on /var/lib/sheepdog type ext4
(rw,noatime,user_xattr,barrier=0,data=writeback,nobh)
Started sheepdog with
sheep -p 7000 -l 0 /var/lib/sheepdog

When I issues
qemu-img convert /images/debian60-64bits.qed -O raw sheepdog:debian60-64bits

It takes hours to finish altought it is just 5G img.
The performance from within the virtual machine is then fine. and close
to raw performances.

Is there something I am doing wrong ?

Thanks

Cheers