[Sheepdog] Next version and user documentation

David Douard david.douard at logilab.fr
Fri May 4 10:53:22 CEST 2012

On 04/05/2012 10:11, Matthew Law wrote:
> Also,
>
> Unless someone is working on it already, I would like to try and build
> packages of the next release for debian.  I've never done it before (not
> publicly anyway) so I don't know what it really involves (and I would
> welcome help too) but it would certainly help my own use of sheepdog.

Same here. I may find some time to help on this task. I believe that the
task (beside writing more doc) may not be that big since debian and
ubuntu already package sheepdog (old versions however, 0.2.3 for ubuntu
and 0.2.4 for debian).

> I agree that there is so much more to sheepdog than the website indicates.
>  Perhaps we could pool efforts together to make better documentation
> (especially for newcomers) and

Preparing a new official version (being 0.3.1 or 0.4.0) is a good
occasion for writing this missing doc.

> introduce a sheepdog-discuss list too for
> the non-developer audience? - just my thoughts as a user/observer.

+1, the current list is mainly used for code review, so more general
discussions can be "lost" there. Splitting the list is IMHO a requirement.

> On an unrelated note, I noticed this yesterday which claims ElasticHosts
> have been using sheepdog in production for some time:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/05/03/elastichosts_managed_services_cloud/

This kind of annoucement should be advertised more. I for myself still
not sure I want to use sheepdog in a production environment, because I
still have trouble resuming from "critical" situations, or some
unhandled "instabilities" due to misuse (eg. running the same "collie
vdi create" command from several hosts from cssh sessions make sheep
unresponsive, etc.)

Seeing sheepdog used in prod environments by others can help to be more
confident, for sure.

And having a recent version available as deb packages would also be a
strong argument helping me decide to use it on my openstack cluster...

David