[sheepdog] [Sheepdog]Openstack support sheepdog matters?

MORITA Kazutaka morita.kazutaka at lab.ntt.co.jp
Wed Jan 16 05:26:16 CET 2013

Hi,

> 1, Why do Morita only modify  Openstack Nova but Openstack
> Swift/Cinder(Or other part) to
> support sheepdog?

When I did the work, Cinder project didn't exist.  I added a sheepdog
driver to nova-volume, which was a block service of nova.  The daemon
was separated as Cinder project, so my code was also moved to Cinder.

http://docs.openstack.org/developer/cinder/api/cinder.volume.drivers.sheepdog.html

> 2, In order to let Openstack support sheepdog, we can depend on Iscsi
> or libvirt&qemu. But
> Morita choose to depend on libvirt&qemu. I am not sure the details
> differences between them.
> Why Iscsi do not fit us?

Sheepdog has only preliminary support for iSCSI.  All the IO requests
are processed synchronously.  If performance does not matter, you can
use it.

> 3, We just modify some Openstack codes to support sheepdog? Have we
> also modify sheepdog
> codes to support Openstack? I cannot find we change sheepdog stuffs to
> support openstack, right?

I've not tested Sheepdog with the recent OpenStack, but I believe you
can use Sheepdog as a volume driver of Cinder.  If it doesn't work,
I'm willing to fix it :)