[Stgt-devel] Further problems with the SSC code ...

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe
Sun Jul 27 00:03:41 CEST 2008

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 2:52 PM, ronnie sahlberg
<ronniesahlberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Remember that SSC takes two types of read/write parameters. Both with
> and without specifying the block no.

Sure, but I can see no code in SSC for handling the BAML and BAM bits
nor for transitioning between implicit address mode and explicit
address mode ... this will have to be added.

Thus, of course, we will have to add more state to the ssc_info struct
that is already kept.

> See the mmc_info in mmc emulation for a way to attach commandset
> specific data to the lun, and how to use it.
> mmc uses this to remember what the current_profile is and how to write
> to a dvd+r.
> You may need to store the current block# here to track the read/write
> commands with implicit address modes

OK, I will have a look ...

> As others have said as well, you may also encapsulate each block
> read/written with a header that specifies
> the size of the block,   some flags etc.
> Or, please make bs_rdwr() take a block index instead of an offset   so
> that it may be easier to add these block headers at a later time.

Well that depends on how that stuff is to be implemented, but sure.

Making bs_rdwr deal with this stuff would seem to be burdening it with
more than it should need to worry about. Perhaps we should be able to
give bs_rdwr() a scatter-gather list ...