[wpkg-users] WPKG Client and laptop

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Mon Aug 27 20:24:44 CEST 2007

Marco Gaiarin schrieb:
> Mandi! Tomasz Chmielewski
>   In chel di` si favelave...
>
>> Basically, if you have a timeout of 10 minutes, but can't connect to the
>> server, you will be delayed by about 1 minute if you use IP addresses
>> (\\10.1.1.1\blah), and about 30 seconds if you use names (\\server\blah).
>
> True, but also i spot this now and them on not permanently connected
> machine.
>
> Clearly seems a 'windows/hardware' problem, not a WPKG one, but i need
> to fix, or at least circumvent it.
>

> Some ideas?

I don't know.
I see the issue concerns more users - so perhaps we should add something
like a "laptop mode" to WPKG Client?

Something like that on the "logon delay" page in WPKG Client preferences:

^ Enable laptop mode
   ___Server address___  Server IP or name

With that explanation when Help button is pressed:

###########

Laptops are not always connected to the local network. If logon delay is
enabled, and the server is not reachable, it may take some time before
the operating system gives up and returns an error.

If we can't reach the server IP or name with a single ICMP packet
(ping), don't delay the user anymore.

Note: if you have a firewall on a server and/or a workstation, make sure
you can ping the server from the workstation, otherwise, enabling this
feature will prevent WPKG from working.

Please feel free to comment.