[wpkg-users] Synchronize

Falko Trojahn nospam_ft at smi-softmark.de
Mon Jun 18 16:07:37 CEST 2007

André Gustavo Lopes schrieb:
> Hi again Falko,

Please, always reply to the mailing list ("reply to all"), so others can
help, too.

> Falko Trojahn wrote:
>> Hi André
>>
>>> Im in doubt about what the /synchronize should do. I did some tests
>>> with an small aplication (winrar). In the first run of thw wpkg it
>>> install the aplication, works fine. So i remove the application (by
>>> control panel), and restart the windows. I was expecting wpkg detect
>>> the application missing and reinstall it, but nothing happened. Is
>>> that the right comportament of the wpkg?.
>>>
>> Yes, it is. If you want wpkg to check every time if the software is
>> installed, use a package with
>>   execute="always"
>> see http://wpkg.org/index.php/Execute_once_/_always
> execute always CHECK if is installed or just INSTALL on every start?
>
> i did the following:
>
> 1 install app (winrar),
> 2 move his folder (not uninstall), ...  to the another place
>
> my package is using check type = uninstall, so on the next start, wpkg
> should not reinstall the application but wpkg do it.
>
> that should not be a problem with small applications... but with big
> applications like msoffice that could be a big problem with very delayed
> startups.
>
>> ... so, continuing my tests, when i remove
>> c:\windows\system32\wpkg.xml, and restarting
>>
>> wpkg do his work and install again winrar.
>>   Yes that's clear: wpkg saves all information about packages it has
>> installed in wpkg.xml. Usually users do not have rights to deinstall
>> software or delete entries from wpkg.xml, so wpkg can trust this file.

As I sayed, it depends from your system environment. If the users have
no rights to deinstall application, why would you reinstall the software
every time the system starts? If the user has admin rights, he even
can disturb the wpkg service by deactivating it, so nothing gets
reinstalled - same problem.

Falko

wpkg-users mailing list
wpkg-users at lists.wpkg.org