[wpkg-users] Synchronize

André Gustavo Lopes andre at mrx.com.br
Mon Jun 18 16:42:00 CEST 2007

Falko Trojahn wrote:
> André Gustavo Lopes schrieb:
>
>> Hi again Falko,
>>

> Please, always reply to the mailing list ("reply to all"), so others can
> help, too.

ok, sorry :)
>> Falko Trojahn wrote:
>>
>>> Hi André

>>> Yes, it is. If you want wpkg to check every time if the software is
>>> installed, use a package with
>>>   execute="always"
>>> see http://wpkg.org/index.php/Execute_once_/_always
>>>
>> execute always CHECK if is installed or just INSTALL on every start?
>>
>> i did the following:
>>
>> 1 install app (winrar),
>> 2 move his folder (not uninstall), ...  to the another place
>>
>> my package is using check type = uninstall, so on the next start, wpkg
>> should not reinstall the application but wpkg do it.
>>
>> that should not be a problem with small applications... but with big
>> applications like msoffice that could be a big problem with very delayed
>> startups.
>>

>>> ... so, continuing my tests, when i remove
>>> c:\windows\system32\wpkg.xml, and restarting
>>>
>>> wpkg do his work and install again winrar.
>>>   Yes that's clear: wpkg saves all information about packages it has
>>> installed in wpkg.xml. Usually users do not have rights to deinstall
>>> software or delete entries from wpkg.xml, so wpkg can trust this file.
>>>

> As I sayed, it depends from your system environment. If the users have
> no rights to deinstall application, why would you reinstall the software
> every time the system starts? If the user has admin rights, he even
> can disturb the wpkg service by deactivating it, so nothing gets
> reinstalled - same problem.

i understand your point, and i will follow that "directions".
tks

but i still thinking a nice idea some rule like "install if not
installed" :)
that could help to keep the workstation applications updateds, without
the payload of the execute=always.

by the way, tks for awnsers, wpkg is really a very good tool, :)

> Falko

wpkg-users mailing list
wpkg-users at lists.wpkg.org