[wpkg-users] Client question 2

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Fri Aug 14 16:48:45 CEST 2009

simon.begin at institutsmq.qc.ca wrote:

> We have +/- 1000PCs, If we deploy a small package (ex: Java 1.6) it's OK
> at boot or at logon.
> But if it is Office 2007, we 'd like to have it installed overnight, or
> we will load up the network and freeze clients for (maybe) hours in the
> morning.
>
> Is there a way to make the WPKG client service to "wake up" at a defined
> interval, like every x hours after boot-up? or better a random time
> between x and y hours?
>
> Is there developpement planned on the client that will add this feature?

There isn't a feature like this and it's not planned.

You can solve your problem with existing tools:

- use wake on lan to boot the machines at a requested time (i.e. at night),

- use a task scheduler or a script initiated from the server which will
restart WPKG service at any desired time:

net stop wpkgservice
net start wpkgservice