[wpkg-users] Strange behavior of WPKG Client

chiddie claudio.ghirardi at geniaware.com
Tue Dec 20 17:42:13 CET 2011

===============================
Yes. In this case you can do:

     <host name="yourpcname" profile-id="default" >
         <profile id="testprofile" />
     </host>
===============================

I simply did <host name="mypcname" profile-id="TestProfile" /> in order not
to have to create also an empty "default" profile in the profiles.xml.

I modified the local wpkg settings on my pc adding the (in)famous
/applymultiple to my pc only. In this way i can add tests packages to my
testprofile only, avoiding uninstalling of packages contained in the
Standard Applications profile.

> Now that i know that using the applymultiple flag i can bypass the issue,
> there's no need for me to create a profiles folder with X profiles and a
> hosts folder with X folders, using the default files is enough.
>
> The only thing that i don't get is why WPKG always checks if WPKG_Client
> package is installed, since now my conf is:
>
> hosts.xml
> ==================================
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>
> <wpkg>
>
> 	<host name="MYPC" profile-id="IncrediBuild Agent" />
>
> 	<host group="Domain Computers" profile-id="Standard Applications" />
>
> </wpkg>
> ==================================
>
> profiles.xml
> ==================================
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>
> <profiles>
>
> 	<profile id="WPKG_Client">
> 		<package package-id="WPKG_Client" />
> 	</profile>
>
>          <profile id="Standard Applications">
> 		<package package-id="7-Zip" />
> 	</profile>
>
> 	<profile id="IncrediBuild Agent">
> 		<package package-id="IncrediBuild Agent" />
> 	</profile>
>
> </profiles>
> ==================================
>
> The WPKG_Client profile is not invoked in the hosts.xml file, is only
> invoked by the domain startup script (the one you suggested to modify
> adding
> an if line).
You shouldn't remove your "WPKG_Client" package from default profile for
all hosts - wpkg compares what is installed to what it should
install according to profiles<->hosts association.

So I would expect WPKG_Client to be deinstalled if it is not assigned to
each host!!
I'm not sure i have understood:

Given that i have to leave

<profile id="WPKG_Client">
 	<package package-id="WPKG_Client" />
</profile>

as it is in order to make the domain startup script work, you suggest to add
the line

<package package-id="WPKG_Client" />

to the profile

<profile id="Standard Applications">