[wpkg-users] Strange behavior of WPKG Client

Falko Trojahn nospam_ft at smi-softmark.de
Wed Dec 21 08:50:11 CET 2011

chiddie --> 20.12.2011 17:42:

> ===============================
> Yes. In this case you can do:
>
>       <host name="yourpcname" profile-id="default">
>           <profile id="testprofile" />
>       </host>
> ===============================
>
> I simply did<host name="mypcname" profile-id="TestProfile" />  in order not
> to have to create also an empty "default" profile in the profiles.xml.
>
> I modified the local wpkg settings on my pc adding the (in)famous
> /applymultiple to my pc only. In this way i can add tests packages to my
> testprofile only, avoiding uninstalling of packages contained in the
> Standard Applications profile.

For tests, I have two possibilities:

- second share with full wpkg installations; if a package is ready
   -> synchronize to "production" share

or

- second profile for my test system, which includes all packages
   already assigned to other systems, plus the test package(s)

>> Now that i know that using the applymultiple flag i can bypass the issue,
>> there's no need for me to create a profiles folder with X profiles and a
>> hosts folder with X folders, using the default files is enough.
>>
>> The only thing that i don't get is why WPKG always checks if WPKG_Client
>> package is installed, since now my conf is:
>>
>> hosts.xml
>> ==================================
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>>
>> <wpkg>
>>
>> 	<host name="MYPC" profile-id="IncrediBuild Agent" />
>>
>> 	<host group="Domain Computers" profile-id="Standard Applications" />
>>
>> </wpkg>
>> ==================================
>>
>> profiles.xml
>> ==================================
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>>
>> <profiles>
>>
>> 	<profile id="WPKG_Client">
>> 		<package package-id="WPKG_Client" />
>> 	</profile>
>>
>>           <profile id="Standard Applications">
>> 		<package package-id="7-Zip" />
>> 	</profile>
>>
>> 	<profile id="IncrediBuild Agent">
>> 		<package package-id="IncrediBuild Agent" />
>> 	</profile>
>>
>> </profiles>
>> ==================================
>>
>> The WPKG_Client profile is not invoked in the hosts.xml file, is only
>> invoked by the domain startup script (the one you suggested to modify
>> adding
>> an if line).
> You shouldn't remove your "WPKG_Client" package from default profile for
> all hosts - wpkg compares what is installed to what it should
> install according to profiles<->hosts association.
>
> So I would expect WPKG_Client to be deinstalled if it is not assigned to
> each host!!
> I'm not sure i have understood:
>
> Given that i have to leave
>
> <profile id="WPKG_Client">
>   	<package package-id="WPKG_Client" />
> </profile>
>
> as it is in order to make the domain startup script work, you suggest to add
> the line
>
> <package package-id="WPKG_Client" />
>
> to the profile
>
> <profile id="Standard Applications">
>
> too?

Yes, sure. If it is not - perhaps the wpkg run via wpkgservice tries
  to deinstall wpkg_client (if there are "remove" cmds in), and the
domain startup script (if it comes later) reinstalls wpkg client again.

Good luck,
Falko