[wpkg-users] Thunderbird extensions

Falko Trojahn nospam_ft at smi-softmark.de
Fri Jul 15 10:44:16 CEST 2011

Hi,

Am 14.07.2011 20:05, schrieb Stefan Pendl:

>> On 7/14/2011 12:02 PM, John Danks wrote:
>>> That's the same type of package definition I use for TB add-ons. I'd
>>> double-check that you extracted the XPI correctly and see if it's
>>> actually getting copied to the correct place.
>>>
>>> sogo-integrator is not addons.mozilla.org and the link to
>> it's website
>>> from Freshmeat is 404, so maybe the add-on was not updated for the
>>> version of TB you're using? Does it work if you install it manually?
>>>
>> It does work if I install manually. I did upgrade to the latest one
>> also. It does copy to the correct folder and I re-extracted
>> the contents
>> just in case. I am at a loss.Any ideas?
>
> The latest release of Firefox does not extract all add-ons, just the ones which really need to.
>
> I am currently installing AddBlockPlus by copying the XPI file to the extensions folder, that's all.
>
> You should check if this can be done with the other add-on too.
>
> It seems there is something going on in addition to extracting the add-on and this step is currently missing.

the new way of mozilla extensions installation I've described here
   http://wpkg.org/Firefox#Firefox_3.6_Series_Extension_Templates
and here
   http://wpkg.org/Firefox_ext_install_downloads
does work with Firefox 4 and 5, too.

It seems a bit complicated, but in fact it's easy: for each new
firefox/thunderbird extension you only need a one liner xml and
have to insert two variables for the extension name and key:
http://wpkg.org/Firefox_ext_install_downloads#packages.2Ffirefox-ext-skel.xml

IMHO same system (using:
http://wpkg.org/Firefox_ext_install_downloads#packages.2Fmozilla.2Finstall-extensions.cmd
) should work with thunderbird, too.

Just replace
   install-extensions.cmd" Firefox %FXEXT%
   install-extensions.cmd" Thunderbird %FXEXT%
in
http://wpkg.org/Firefox_ext_install_downloads#templates.2Fff-extension.xml

As soon as I have some time I'll rework these pages/packages for FF 5
and make some for TB.

Best regards,
Falko