[wpkg-users] Delayed sevice start

Alan Adams alan at adamshome.org.uk
Tue Nov 22 18:32:09 CET 2011

Is there a way to delay the start of the wpkg service?

I have two reasons for wanting to do this. First when using WindowsXP
Home on laptops, the wireless network doesn't start until after login,
so the wpkg service has run and given up before the network appears.
For this situation, wpkg needs to start after login has completed.

Secondly with a classroom of 30 wireless laptops starting up, wpkg is
using so much aggregate bandwidth dragging down large msi's (e.g.
Adobe Reader) that logging in can take up to half an hour. In this
case delay after login would work, or delay after startup.

For the former case I have had to resort to a scheduled task running
every 15 minutes doing net stop and net start on the service. There
doesn't seem to be an option to run once some period after login, but
it can be set to run periodically starting at login. 15 minutes was
chosen to reduce the risk of stopping wpkg while it was doing an
installation, against the risk of the laptop being shut down before it
had started - many lessons are only 15 minutes long.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan at adamshome.org.uk
http://www.nckc.org.uk/