[wpkg-users] Order of package removals and install/upgrades

Malte Starostik lists at malte.homeip.net
Wed Nov 23 21:17:22 CET 2011

Am Mittwoch, 23. November 2011, 21:04:07 schrieb C. Mortimer:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm currently deploying Flash 10.x via WPKG but I now want to deploy Flash
> 11 (this is to Win7 Pro machines). My question is, if I make a new xml
> package file with a new name of flash11 but give it the same priority
> number as my flash10 xml file and then comment out the flash10 name from my
> profiles.xml (forcing flash 10 to be removed), will flash10 be removed
> _before_ flash11 is installed, does WPKG remove a package first _then_ look
> for new installations/upgrades of packages with the same priority?

Removals happen first, before anything new is installed.  The exception being
upgrades to packages scheduled for removal and then maybe (?) upgrades to
their dependencies.  If you change the package's name and remove flash10 from
the profile, flash11 will stay out of the way until flash10 is gone.

Apart from that, the flash installer is fine with just installing over an older
version.  So instead you could just bumb the package's revision and adapt the
commands to version 11 instead of adding an unrelated (from WPKG's
perspective) new package.

Priority is not involved here and in general, I'd recommend using dependencies
instead.  Priorities (absolute package order) are basically a kludge to work
around missing explicit dependency specifications (relative package order).

> Hope this makes sense :)

Guess so :)

Cheers,
Malte