[wpkg-users] multi-site / multi wpkg "repo" deployments for roaming laptops and notebooks

Urs Rau (UK) urs.rau at om.org
Thu Jan 26 13:43:49 CET 2012

Hi Guys,

I had jotted down some notes to myself in the last 2 or 3 months, that I needed to look deeper into the new functionality that allows wpkg deployments to be de-centralized in terms of the wpkg repo of files to be installed.

The basic wish, need or requirement is / (or would be) to handle staff and equipment in branch offices. So that their desktops would all read from a local installation, but laptops would update themselves from either. So if they come for a weeks training or even a months sick cover their laptops and notebooks would still update using the companies wpkg setup.

But on coming back to the list and it's archives and searching and reading the release notes for 1.3 over again, I can't quite see where I got the idea from? Was it possibly in a recent support thread where somebody asked about the wpkg agent needing to work with "more local" Install files and in the process of that support thread somebody then threw in an idea of how to solve this using one of the new or extended features in wpkg 1.3.x?

Need to keep better notes for myself . ;-) Or upgrade my memory.

Thanks in advance.

--
Urs Rau

Operation Mobilisation (OM) - a company limited by guarantee - The Quinta, Weston Rhyn, Oswestry, SY10 7LT, United Kingdom
Company reg no: 2564320 (England & Wales) - Charity reg. no: 1008196 (England & Wales) - SC040988 (Scotland)
Web: http://www.uk.om.org