[wpkg-users] How to Remove Erroneous or Mistyped package?

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Wed Jan 25 09:19:55 CET 2012

Hi Stefan,

On 25.01.2012 01:44, Stefan Pendl wrote:
> Am 25.01.2012 00:59, schrieb Mikhail Joseph Salviejo:
>> Good day guys,
>>
>> Iam having a bit of hard time to remove a package that i miss written.
>> See sample below.
>>
>> I have written in the package.
>> <remove cmd='msiexec /qn /x "{4A03706F-666A-4037-7777-5F2748764D10}"' />
>> instead of
>> <remove cmd='msiexec /qn /x {4A03706F-666A-4037-7777-5F2748764D10}' />
>>
>> Now the package cannot be removed unless manually done,, can anyone help
>> me with this. I have already deployed this in hundreds of our PC, and I cannot
>> manually remove this one by one it would take time.
>
> Don't remove it, just upgrade it.

I think he's rather refering to the fact that his remove comamnd might be
broken. So after removing the package from the profile WPKG tries to remove it
using the given command which is not working. So WPKG will re-try to remove it
over and over again.

This is exactly the use-case I have implemented the upgrade-before-remove
functionality.

So he can simply increment the revision and fix the broken remove command. The
updated package might even have no upgrade commands.
On next WPKG run WPKG will upgrade the package first to the latest package
revision. If upgrade is successful, then WPKG will use the new (fixed) package
for removal and properly remove the package.

So everything Mikhail has to do is to fix the package (fix remove commands) and
increment the package revision. He just needs to make sure the upgrade commands
either do not execute anything or do work properly even if no real upgrade is
performed (for MSI installers this is not an issue).