[wpkg-users] Installs with /debug but not with client or standard /synchronize

Michael MacKay dmmackay at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 16:19:29 CET 2012

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 8:28 AM, Stefan Pendl <stefan.pendl.71 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Am 08.01.2012 13:14, schrieb Rainer Meier:
>

>> If WPKG executes all desired upgrade and remove commands correctly, then
>> it's usually an issue which has to be solved by fixing up the packages.
>> As you indicate that sometimes some commands seem to continue "after the
>> client progress bar goes away" (I guess you're referring to logon delay
>> of WPKG-client on Windows XP) this indicates that some of your commands
>> might fork and continue to run in background while returning to WPKG too
>> quickly. So you might have to add additional waits (e.g. insert commands
>> like 'ping -n 10 localhost") or do more intelligent checking to wait for
>> the command to complete before letting WPKG continue.
>>
>> The VLC uninstaller is a very good example of bad practice, here I need
>> to use such a similar loop to wait for the uninstaller to complete its
>> job:
>>

> The NSIS installers are known to fork a second process, which runs a copy
> of the installer from the TEMP folder.
>
> The template for the NSIS installer shipping with WPKG includes the
> solution to this problem.
>
> As Rainer says, if you need detailed help we need detailed information and
> the debug logs are a good place to start with.
>
> A brief description of your problem will only result in a guessing game ;-)
>
> BTW, I have never encountered such a strange behavior with any of the WPKG
> releases I have used.
>

> --
> Stefan P.
>
> Top-posting:
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> A: Top-posting.

I think I have this figured out based on your responses.  These packages
are actually all part of one piece of software and I had them all ranked as
the same priority.  I assumed that they would still run one after the other
but they would all run before moving onto the next piece of software, I
think they would all start, and one one of them finished, it would move on.
I have since change them to have individual priority numbers and all seems
to be working as expected. It makes sense now that I think it through.

Thanks for the help, and I will ensure to attach logs next time.
Mike