[wpkg-users] Deploying Adobe Reader to be Default Web Viewer

Alan Adams alan at adamshome.org.uk
Mon Jan 30 18:12:10 CET 2012

In message <0BA0129D-2C44-4848-8681-49C9217A0A55 at om.org>
          "Urs Rau (UK)" <urs.rau at om.org> wrote:

> Mikhail,

> On 30 Jan 2012, at 03:28, Mikhail Joseph Salviejo wrote:

>> Good day Guys,
>>
>> I having a little bit trouble with Adobe Reader 9 and X.
>> After deploying them to our computers (Win XP for Adobe 9, and Win 7
>> for Adobe X)
>>
>> They can't seem to open pdf files via web that has no extension like this
>>
>> http://design.rldp.com/wiwi/543asdls&1231adf (uploaded in mysql)
>>

> Are you sure this issue is wpkg related? If you install Adobe Reader
> by hand , does it then open up the above mentioned files? If you have
> the same problem then this is not wpkg related.

When a file has no extension, then trying to open it by
double-clicking it will fail, as will using the menu and choosing open
or run. However File -> Open within Adobe Reader should work, if the
file is indeed valid PDF.

Are these files by any chance connected with RISC OS (Acorn and
successors)? The filetype hex(adf) is used on RISC OS for pdf files.
RISC OS systems do not require extensions.