[wpkg-users] Chocolatey?

Jon Rhoades jrhoades at svi.edu.au
Mon Nov 3 11:05:28 CET 2014

I think it's great that Chocolatey exits and with Microsoft's recent announcement, it's only going to get better, but it's not something we'd consider at this time:

Most of our significant packages are site licensed and customised to our environment (eg Office/CS6/Endnote/SPSS...) negating any open repository benefit.

We centrally manage all of our PCs (and indeed Mac's using WPKG's cousin Munki) - packages get installed on startup according to a generic or specific profile according to host name - this guarantees up to dateness & compliance. Chocolatey certainly didn't used to do this, I believe it's evolving and does at least now do administrative installs.

A real alternative to WPKG for us would be Puppet or MS System Centre or Symantec Alteris, all of which have a similar feature set to WPKG - but the technical debt involved would make it a pretty expensive move!

That said if there was something like Autopkg for Munki that allowed Chocolatey to update WPKG packages, then we'd be talking!

Cheers Jon

--
Jon Rhoades
Research Information Systems