[wpkg-users] Chocolatey?

Peter Gough pmgough at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 23:59:25 CET 2014

This. Absolutely this.

If all I needed to do was install 7-zip and Dropbox then Chocolatey (or
Ninite or any one of a number of alternative package management apps) would
fit the bill.

In the real world I need to manage and maintain a mixture of open source
and commercial apps, some of which have specific licensing requirements.
Using wpkg lets me deploy pretty much whatever I want using a consistent
framework.

Further to that I have some concerns about trusting the package
maintainers. The chocolately site <https://chocolatey.org/about> states
'...until we have package moderation in place, the answer is that you can't
trust the packages here...' and '...if you are a business looking at using
Chocolatey, it is strongly recommended that you do not use the community
feed.'

It might be a bit more work but I'd rather be the one downloading binaries
from known trusted sites and managing the updates myself than trusting
random people on the internet to do this for me.

This is a useful conversation to have and something I think it's a useful
exercise to explore alternatives to workstation management on a reasonably
regular basis but I haven't seen anything yet that chocolatey can do which
would convince me to move from my current setup.

Peter