[stgt] Why tgtd keeps connecting for one hour ?

ronnie sahlberg ronniesahlberg at gmail.com
Tue May 28 00:50:59 CEST 2013

Hi Young-Sang,

What you see is probably that it takes one hour for the TCP Keepalives
to detect that the other end of the tcp connection is dead.
A better, and quicker,  way for a target to detect that an initiator
is no longer reachable is using NOP-OUT pings.

I just sent a patch to the list to add this for iscsi.
You could try building TGTD with that patch and see if it solves your problem.

In order to activate it you need to specify '--iscsi
noop_interval=5,noop_count=6' on the command line when you start TGTD.
noop_interval and noop_count controls  how frequently TGTD will send a
NOP-OUT to the initiator and after how many failures
it will tear down the connection.
You probably shouldnt set this too low, to allow the session to
survuve across a short network glitch,   but something like 5,6  like
above could be a good setting.
It would allow you to detect and tear down the connection after ~30 seconds

ronnie sahlberg