[wpkg-users] Advice on remote assistance program to deploy

Daniel Berteaud daniel at firewall-services.com
Mon Oct 1 11:25:51 CEST 2012

Le 01/10/2012 10:52, Marco Cunico a écrit :
> Hi,
> we are currently deploying WPKG on around 100 desktops (with wpkg-gp)
> and we'd like to have your suggestions on which program you use to
> give remote assistance to your managed desktops. We are looking on
> something like teamviewer/ammyy that could work with UAC and there the
> user asking support in not an administrator of the computer. The ideal
> solution would support linux as an "operator OS" as most of our IT
> staff is on Linux. We've seen UltraVNC and all his "plugins" like DC
> or helpware but we'd like to hear your opinion

We use TightVNC here, it's working on Win XP, Vista, 2003 Server, 2000
Server, and 7 (probably on other version too, but we've successfully
used it on all these versions).
We always connect to this VNC server using various Linux client (Fedora,
Arch, Ubuntu etc...). My favourite VNC client for Linux is remmina, but
vinagre and tigervnc also works great. We don't use reverse connections
thought (the IT crew always initiate the connection throught an SSH
tunnel when we're not in the client's network, remmina create the tunnel
for you, which is why I like it)

Here's our package definition for TightVNC:
https://wikit.firewall-services.com/doku.php?id=tuto:gestion_de_parc:wpkg:tightvnc

You just have to manuelly install it on one desktop, configure it like
you want (especially the passwords), then, save the settings in a file
named tightvnc.reg (in the same directory than the installer).

Regards, Daniel

> Thanks
>
> --
> Marco Cunico
> IT Department | T +39-0424-411125
> PEDON S.P.A. | Via del Progresso, 32 | 36060 Molvena (VI) | Italy
> www.pedon.it <http://www.pedon.it> | info at pedon.it <mailto:info at pedon.it>
>
> Any information herein transmitted only concerns the person or the
> company named in the address and is deemed to be confidential. It is
> strictly forbidden to transmit, post, forward or otherwise use said
> information to anyone other than the recipient. If you have received
> this message by mistake, please contact the sender and delete any
> relevant information from your computer (Italian Law 196/2003). This
> mailbox is only meant for sending and receiving messages pertaining to
> business matters and any other use for personal purposes is forbidden
> and unauthorized. Therefore, any email sent and received will be
> handled as ordinary business messages and subject to the company's own
> rules, and may thus be read also by people other than the user named
> in the mailbox address.

Daniel Berteaud
FIREWALL-SERVICES SARL.
Société de Services en Logiciels Libres