[wpkg-users] Why VNC and not remote desktop? (was: Advice on remote assistance program to deploy)

heiko.helmle at horiba.com heiko.helmle at horiba.com
Tue Oct 2 18:29:46 CEST 2012

> i would like to know why you install another program on windows if you
> have RemoteDesktop on windows and an excelente client on linux?
>
> I've made a special CD for installing XP, and it set's by default the
> remote access option. I combine it plus Wake on Lan capabilities and
> works great here...

* For you to login to XP via RDP it requires the user in front of the PC
to log out.
* During your session the user will only see the login screen.

This means
- you can't troubleshoot a user problem with the user showing you what
went wrong
- you dismiss possible error screens that you were supposed to look at
(not every user is able to mail you a screenshot - especially if mail
isn't working )

I know there's "remote assistance" available via the windows help menu -
we tried that (because it's free!) but though it works pretty well once
established, most times establishing the connection fails. And for
non-expert users, it's still a bit complicated.

We used UltraVNCs "QuickSupport" tool for quite a while, but that needs a
ton of bandwidth and crashes a lot. Now we're a happy TeamViewer customer.
It just works, that's really really cool.

Best Regards
        Heiko