[wpkg-users] Why VNC and not remote desktop? (was: Advice on remote assistance program to deploy)

Carlos R. Pasqualini pasqualinic at fcal.uner.edu.ar
Wed Oct 3 20:41:14 CEST 2012

El mar, 02-10-2012 a las 18:29 +0200, heiko.helmle at horiba.com escribió:
> > i would like to know why you install another program on windows if
> you
> > have RemoteDesktop on windows and an excelente client on linux?
> >
> > I've made a special CD for installing XP, and it set's by default
> the
> > remote access option. I combine it plus Wake on Lan capabilities and
> > works great here...
> >

> * For you to login to XP via RDP it requires the user in front of the
> PC to log out.
> * During your session the user will only see the login screen.
>
> This means
> - you can't troubleshoot a user problem with the user showing you what
> went wrong
> - you dismiss possible error screens that you were supposed to look at
> (not every user is able to mail you a screenshot - especially if mail
> isn't working )
>
> I know there's "remote assistance" available via the windows help menu
> - we tried that (because it's free!) but though it works pretty well
> once established, most times establishing the connection fails. And
> for non-expert users, it's still a bit complicated.
>
> We used UltraVNCs "QuickSupport" tool for quite a while, but that
> needs a ton of bandwidth and crashes a lot. Now we're a happy
> TeamViewer customer. It just works, that's really really cool.

I'm on an University, so Teamviewer is not an option (i can't rely on
such a service by security policy).

The way to support the user when they are actually using their desktops
it's a very good argument i would like to test.

As i can see, if we choose to not use RDP nor Teamviewer/Logmein/etc. we
have left only VNC.

¿which one do you recommends to do this job?

¿is there a way to authenticate with DSA/RSA or the like?

Thanks!