[wpkg-users] Why VNC and not remote desktop? (was: Advice on remote assistance program to deploy)

Carl van Eijk carl.vaneijk+wpkg at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 05:22:24 CEST 2012

Not free, but a great product I've used is Dameware.
http://www.dameware.com/

You could also cobble together a  very decent workable solution for free
with bginfo, vnc and remote desktop manager

BGinfo - for the user to determine their computer name/number
VNC - for the Control aspect
Remote Desktop Manager - for the central management aspect.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897557.aspx
http://www.tightvnc.com/
http://remotedesktopmanager.com/

Just my 2 cents.

On 3 October 2012 19:41, Carlos R. Pasqualini
<pasqualinic at fcal.uner.edu.ar>wrote:

> El mar, 02-10-2012 a las 18:29 +0200, heiko.helmle at horiba.com escribió:
> > > i would like to know why you install another program on windows if
> > you
> > > have RemoteDesktop on windows and an excelente client on linux?
> > >
> > > I've made a special CD for installing XP, and it set's by default
> > the
> > > remote access option. I combine it plus Wake on Lan capabilities and
> > > works great here...
> > >

> > * For you to login to XP via RDP it requires the user in front of the
> > PC to log out.
> > * During your session the user will only see the login screen.
> >
> > This means
> > - you can't troubleshoot a user problem with the user showing you what
> > went wrong
> > - you dismiss possible error screens that you were supposed to look at
> > (not every user is able to mail you a screenshot - especially if mail
> > isn't working )
> >
> > I know there's "remote assistance" available via the windows help menu
> > - we tried that (because it's free!) but though it works pretty well
> > once established, most times establishing the connection fails. And
> > for non-expert users, it's still a bit complicated.
> >
> > We used UltraVNCs "QuickSupport" tool for quite a while, but that
> > needs a ton of bandwidth and crashes a lot. Now we're a happy
> > TeamViewer customer. It just works, that's really really cool.
> >

> I'm on an University, so Teamviewer is not an option (i can't rely on
> such a service by security policy).
>
> The way to support the user when they are actually using their desktops
> it's a very good argument i would like to test.
>
> As i can see, if we choose to not use RDP nor Teamviewer/Logmein/etc. we
> have left only VNC.
>
> ¿which one do you recommends to do this job?
>
> ¿is there a way to authenticate with DSA/RSA or the like?
>

> Thanks!

Carl van Eijk
m:+44 (0)