[wpkg-users] WPKG and Windows 8 quirks

Frank Morawietz nestolea at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 21:44:38 CEST 2014

Krzysztof Gibas wrote:
> 2014-03-27 at 21:26 Frank Morawietz wrote:
>
>> Which Windows version did you use for testing?
>> I would expect some problems with Windows 8 and above (8.1 currently) .
>
>> As far as I understand it, Windows 8 does not shut down if you tell it
>> to shut down. Instead, it logs off the user and goes into some kind of
>> hibernate mode (saving the main memory to a file) before the computer is
>> switched off.
>
>> If you turn the computer on again, it awakes from hibernation, i.e.
>> loads the saved contents into main memory again instead of performing a
>> complete boot process.
>
> All of this is not an issue unless you want to update some drivers or
> critical system files, because all user applications and services are
> in fact shut down and WPKG receives SERVICE_CONTROL_PRESHUTDOWN signal
> that allows it to do its job and then terminate.

Can't confirm this. I tested the default installation of WPKG on three
different computers with Windows 8 and WPKG was never run automatically.
It only got executed when I did an explicit and manual restart. That's
why I implemented the scheduled task that restarts the WPKG service once
a day that I mentioned earlier.

Regards,
Frank
--