[wpkg-users] Exit code Java installer

Frank Morawietz nestolea at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 21:55:02 CET 2015

Hello list,

I just wanted to return to my promise that I would report the outcome of
my Java installation problems on Windows 8, 64-bit...

I added the commands to create the symlinks to the profile folders
(thanks, Holger!) and I verified manually that they actually were created.

Unfortunately, this still wasn't enough. Then I resorted to additionally
using PSExec to start the installation (thanks, Marco!). But it still
was no fun. I collected lots of different error codes from the
installation (mostly 3 and -1, sometimes higher numbers). And sometimes,
the installation just hung. The current run of wpkg completed and logged
a timeout in it's log. Nevertheless, the wpkg service was hanging too
and needed to be killed and restarted manually or by a reboot.

Then I did some experiments with starting the installation with the
PSExec command interactively. Even this failed! I got strange error
messages that the installation file could not be found - when it
definitively was there (and the correct named given by copy & paste).

Then I lost temper and...
...gave up (*) and installed Java manually, the old-fashioned
interactive way.   :-(

* = Of course I didn't really gave up - I just postponed the problem
until the next Java-update...

BTW: After I manually did the install, I noticed that there was a
problem with the log file on the server. It claimed that the log file
was currently in use, when it was not. I had to fix this on the server,
as every client only got permission denied, when trying to open/delete
this file.

Sorry that I can not offer a working solution by now.

Nevertheless, a Happy New Year to all of you!
Frank
--
Frank Morawietz