[wpkg-users] Putting log files on samba server.

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Tue Apr 25 09:41:47 CEST 2006

Jerry Haltom wrote:
> When I first put together wpkg, I had a need for this. However, after
> about 10 minutes of thought I realized this was just the wrong place for
> it. There are tools out there, right now, commercial and free, for
> aggregating windows NT event logs. There is ntsyslog, which forwards all
> event logs to a syslog server. There's a lot of really nice commercial
> ones.
>
> These have other benefits, such as seeing more than wpkg. Wpkg, imo,
> should use the Windows-sanctified logging mechanism, and the event log
> API is it.

As I can recall, one of the latest Samba releases has a tool for
checking event logs? But maybe I'm confusing with something else.

Anyway, this server side logging (>>\\server\logs\machine.log) has
certainly one advantage: (WPKG) logs are always available, even if the
workstations are off, without setting anything additional on workstations.