[wpkg-users] point&print drivers

Dany Chouinard chouinard.dany at csob.qc.ca
Wed Aug 8 21:17:25 CEST 2007

The trick was to use something like runas as Thomasz suggested.  You
probably already notice that RUNAS isn't scripting friendly.  I use
instead  CPAU.

http://www.joeware.net/freetools/tools/cpau/index.htm

My install XML look like this :

<install cmd='%SOFTWARE%\scripts\cpau.exe -u eslt\administrateur -wait
- -outprocexit -p wonttell -ex "rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /n
\\esltps004\a2-027"' />

I then put a similar line in the simple user's logonscript

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /z /n \\esltps004\a2-027
rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /y /n \\esltps004\a2-027

The second line is used to set the default printer.

Voilà!

Now the CPAU tools can use an encrypted password for scripting, I will
need to look into that, later.

Dany Chouinard

Tomasz Chmielewski a écrit :
> Dany Chouinard schrieb:
>>
>> Greeting everyone
>>
>> A quick question, I'm trying to run a script to preload printer driver
>> on computers so I could add printer to user through the logon script.
>> However, the wpkg service run as local computer account and therefore
>> cannot access the domain printer drivers - I get prompted for domain
>> account credential.
>>
>> I was wondering how you guys would handle the situation.
>
> Hmm, no idea, I guess the easiest would be to change the user which
> starts the WPKG service.
>
> But it would be nice to have a good workaround for such cases if we
> really want to run the service as SYSTEM.
>
> 1. Did you try "savecred" option in runas? It allows to save
> credentials, so that the user (can be SYSTEM I guess, too) don't have to
> type the password.

I think savecred is use on win2k3.

> 2. Are you sure the printer share can't be configured to be accessed by
> a guest user (what's the domain controller OS you are running? if it's
> Samba, I guess you have plenty of configuration options).

Not if the wpkg user is running local system account.  But I guess I
could have choose a domain account instead.

> Let us know if you found a good solution.

- --
Dany CHOUINARD
Technicien en informatique               -o)
Commission scolaire de l'Or et des Bois   /\
chouinard.dany at csob.qc.ca                _\_v

tél. 819.825.4220 ext. 3041
cel. 819.856.6892
skype. dchouinard
courriel. chouinard.dany at csob.qc.ca

Ce document est signé numériquement par GnuPG
    http://www.gnupg.org/fr/index.html
Pour récupérer ma clef publique, consultez mon
site internet : www.danychouinard.net/clef.asc

Vous connaissez http://www.linuxabitibi.org ?