[wpkg-users] WPKG Client and laptop

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Wed Aug 29 21:15:32 CEST 2007

Marco Gaiarin schrieb:
> Mandi! Tomasz Chmielewski
>   In chel di` si favelave...
>
>>> Some ideas?
>> I don't know.
>
>> I see the issue concerns more users - so perhaps we should add something
>> like a "laptop mode" to WPKG Client?
>
> Mmmh... wait a moment.
>
> We are sure that it is a 'windows' problem, could be also an hardware
> problem? Eg:
>
> + ethernet adapters does not react well on cable connect/disconnect and
>  keep some sort of interface configured also if there's no connections.
>
> or software, eg:
>
> + windows see more then one network adapter (a wifi, a firewire, ...),
>  half configure them and confuse itself
>
> I suppose that if a delay are present using \\server\name, the same
> delay could be spotted using ping.
>

> In my opinion we have to at least try to isolate the trouble, for my
> site i've post a request in the italian samba mailing list.

All problems lead to one conclusion: we should make WPKG Client in a
way, that it doesn't delay the user unnecessarily. No matter if it's a
hardware, software or any other problem. Computers are for people, not
the other way around. End user (that is, not admin) shouldn't have to
worry about these things.

Hence, the laptop mode idea, disabled by default.

So, let's refactor it a bit:

^ Enable laptop mode

1°   ___Server address___  Server IP (preferred) or name

2°   Custom command _____________

In 1°, we send a packet to that address, port 139 (or, should it be 445?
I think very old servers can listen only on port 139). If we get
connection refused, or no reply in 3 seconds (3 seconds? enough?), don't
delay anymore, don't execute WPKG.

In 2°, execute a custom script. Obviously, it should be placed on a
local drive (something like %PROGRAMFILES%\wpkg\test-net.bat), but not
necessarily. If the exit code is not 0, don't delay anymore, don't
execute WPKG.
Mode 2° could be useful for roaming users (i.e., we have a VPN
connection with a server, but over a slow dial-up line, so don't attempt
to install any software). Or we have a connection, but to a different
server which only has the same DNS name.

> A simple google search lead me to:
>
> 	http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B832161&x=11&y=13
>
> could be a webdav syndrome?

No, that's something else.