[wpkg-users] WPKG Client and laptop

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Thu Aug 30 12:46:07 CEST 2007

Mandi! Tomasz Chmielewski
  In chel di` si favelave...

> All problems lead to one conclusion: we should make WPKG Client in a
> way, that it doesn't delay the user unnecessarily. No matter if it's a
> hardware, software or any other problem. Computers are for people, not
> the other way around. End user (that is, not admin) shouldn't have to
> worry about these things.

Absolutly right.

> Hence, the laptop mode idea, disabled by default.

I'm not saying that it is a bad idea, only that before doing this i
prefere to try to isolate the trouble to well understand it...

> In 1°, we send a packet to that address, port 139 (or, should it be 445?
> I think very old servers can listen only on port 139). If we get
> connection refused, or no reply in 3 seconds (3 seconds? enough?), don't
> delay anymore, don't execute WPKG.

Good.

> In 2°, execute a custom script. Obviously, it should be placed on a
> local drive (something like %PROGRAMFILES%\wpkg\test-net.bat), but not
> necessarily. If the exit code is not 0, don't delay anymore, don't
> execute WPKG.
> Mode 2° could be useful for roaming users (i.e., we have a VPN
> connection with a server, but over a slow dial-up line, so don't attempt
> to install any software). Or we have a connection, but to a different
> server which only has the same DNS name.

Just we are here, consider to add instead a general 'local pre script'
and 'local post script' (as exist pre and post script).
And, of course, check the exit codes of scripts, please both local and
remote. ;)

> > 	http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B832161&x=11&y=13
> No, that's something else.

Really sure? I give it a try...

--
dott. Marco Gaiarin				    GNUPG Key ID: 240A3D66
  Associazione ``La Nostra Famiglia''                http://www.sv.lnf.it/