[wpkg-users] Applying registry entry to all users (HKCU)

Troy Hamilton troy.a.hamilton at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 01:05:06 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Jon Rhoades <jrhoades at svi.edu.au> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We need to force encryption between Outlook & Exchange as it's being
> updated to 2010.  The recommended way is to apply a Group policy, but since
> we have Samba...
>
> The registry key we need to set is:
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\RPC\EnableRPCEncryption
> with a DWORD value of 1.
>
> I would normally do something like:
> <install cmd='reg add
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\RPC /v
> "EnableRPCEncryption" /d "1" /t REG_DWORD /f' />
>
> But of course this is applied to the WPKG admin account's HKCU registry
> hive, not the user(s).
>
> Is there a way of adding it to all users registry hive?

I would recommend using Active Setup (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Setup).

These two install commands should get you on the right track, but I haven't
tested them at all.

<install cmd='reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active
Setup\Installed Components\wpkgEnableOutlookEncryption /v "Version" /d "1"
/t REG_SZ /f' />

<install cmd='reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active
Setup\Installed Components\wpkgEnableOutlookEncryption /v "StubPath" /d "reg
add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\RPC /v
EnableRPCEncryption /t REG_SZ /f" />

Once the two reg values are set by wpkg, the command in StubPath will be run
once for each user that logs into the workstation (thus setting the
appropriate value in HKCU).  If you ever need to change it back, you can
just set "Version" to "2" and change "StubPath" to either delete or update
the value as needed.

If you have problems with it running reg.exe in this manner, you can put
that reg command into a bat file, have wpkg copy it to the workstation, and
then point StubPath to that location (e.g. "c:\windows\
wpkgEnableOutlookEncryption.bat").

Cheers,

Troy