[wpkg-users] Setting a variable in a profile doesnt over-rides that set in a package

Malte Starostik lists at malte.homeip.net
Fri Jan 20 09:59:47 CET 2012

Hi Ronny,

Am Freitag, 20. Januar 2012, 09:35:15 schrieb ladiko at web.de:
> Hello WPKG users :-)
>
> Regarding to
> http://wpkg.org/Variable_setting_through_hosts/profiles/packages a
> variable in a profile should override a variable in a package, but this
> doesn't work for me.
>
> I've got PCs with different Windows-Directories, most have C:\Windows,
> but some have C:\WinXP. So as it is not possible to use %WINDIR% for
> the Wpkg-Logfile path in the WPKG-Client-Settings, i have to use
> different settings-xml-files for the two types of clients. I prepared
> the files settings-windows.xml and settings-winxp.xml and in the
> wpkgclient-package i set <variable name="wpkg-windir" value="windows"
> /> and have a variable set in the profile for the computers which need
> C:\WinXP

I'm not sure about the final outcome right now, but variable order was recently
discussed here.  Anyway, for your specific problem there should be a very
simple solution:  Windows already defines the %SystemRoot% variable for you.
In contrast to what its name might suggest (e.g. system32), its value is the
Windows directory.

HTH,
Malte